(House Bill 1322)
An Act to provide for the direct sale of certain home-produced or home-processed foods and food products.
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of South Dakota:
Section 1. That § 34-18-35 be AMENDED:
as otherwise provided in § 34-18-38,
the licensure provisions of this chapter do not apply to a person
baked goods or non-temperature-controlled home-processed canned goods
at a farmer's market, roadside stand, or similar venue is required to
be licensed pursuant to this chapter. However, any
non-temperature-controlled baked goods or non-temperature-controlled
home-processed canned goods sold at a farmer's market, roadside
stand, or similar venue shall meet the requirements of § 34-18-36,
if applicable, and
(1) Non-temperature-controlled food prepared at a residence;
(2) Home-processed canned goods;
(3) Baked goods prepared at a residence; or
(4) Any food product prepared at a residence and authorized under § 34-18-36 or section 3 of this Act.
Section 2. That § 34-18-36 be AMENDED:
34-18-36. No canned good may be sold unless the pH level is 4.6 or less or the water activity level is .85 or less.
Except as otherwise provided in this section, a producer selling canned goods under this section shall, every five years, complete food safety training approved by the department. The training must be available online. The producer shall retain records verifying the timely completion of such training.
producer selling home-processed goods under this section may, in lieu
of the requirement for food safety training, maintain verification of
each recipe from a third-party processing authority. The third-party
of the thermal processing required of food in hermetically-sealed
the method of processing and that the pH or water activity threshold
levels are met. The processing authority shall provide any
to the producer.
Section 3. That chapter 34-18 be amended with a NEW SECTION:
Any producer who verifies compliance with the food safety training requirements set forth in accordance with § 34-18-36, may sell the following:
(1) Any non-heat-processed fermented food, provided the food is consistently maintained at a temperature that is at or below forty-one degrees Fahrenheit;
(2) Kuchen and baked goods that require time and temperature control for safety, including soft pies, cheesecake, and baked goods having a custard or cream filling, and sauces and pesto that require time and temperature control for safety, provided the food is consistently maintained at a temperature that is at or below forty-one degrees Fahrenheit; and
(3) Home-processed frozen fruit and produce, provided the food is consistently maintained at a temperature that is at or below zero degrees Fahrenheit.
Section 4. That § 34-18-37 be AMENDED:
otherwise provided in this section, no
good or canned good
Food prepared at a residence
be sold unless
it has a label that includes the following information:
(1) Name of the product;
(2) Name of the producer;
(3) Physical address of production;
(4) Mailing address of the producer;
(5) Telephone number of the producer;
(6) Date the product was made or processed;
(8) In the case of food sold in accordance with section 3 of this Act, a directive to keep refrigerated or frozen; and
(9) A disclaimer that states: "This product was not produced in a commercial kitchen. It has been home-processed in a kitchen that may also process common food allergens such as tree nuts, peanuts, eggs, soy, wheat, milk, fish, and crustacean shellfish."
Section 5. That § 34-18-38 be AMENDED:
non-temperature-controlled baked goods
at the person's primary
in accordance with § 34-18-35,
is exempt from the licensing and license fee provisions of this
baked goods meet food
requirements of § 34-18-37;
baked goods arefood
sold in the seller's physical presence at:
(a) The seller's primary residence;
(b) A farmer's market;
(c) A roadside stand; or
(d) Other temporary sale venue; and
seller, or a person residing at the seller's primary residence,
personally delivers the
the buyer at the completion of the sale.
Signed March 18, 2022
Catchlines are not law. (§ 2-16-13.1) Underscores indicate new language.
indicate deleted language.