ENTITLED, An Act to exempt certain property from bankruptcy levy.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF SOUTH DAKOTA:
Section 1. That § 43-45-2 be amended to read as follows:
43-45-2. The property mentioned in this section is absolutely exempt from all such process, levy,
or sale, except as otherwise provided by law:
(1) All family pictures;
(2) A pew or other sitting in any house of worship;
(3) A lot or lots in any burial ground;
(4) The family Bible and all schoolbooks used by the family, and all other books used as a
part of the family library, not exceeding in value two hundred dollars;
(5) All wearing apparel and clothing of the debtor and his family;
(6) The provisions for the debtor and his family necessary for one year's supply, either
provided or growing, or both, and fuel necessary for one year;
(7) All property in this state of the judgment debtor if the judgment is in favor of any state for
failure to pay that state's income tax on benefits received from a pension or other
retirement plan while the judgment debtor was a resident of this state;
(8) Any health aids professionally prescribed to the debtor or to a dependant of the debtor.
Section 2. That § 43-45-4 be amended to read as follows:
43-45-4. In addition to the property provided for in §§ 43-45-2 and 43-45-3, the debtor, if the
head of a family, may, personally, or by agent or attorney, select from all other of the debtor's
personal property, not absolutely exempt, goods, chattels, merchandise, money, or other personal
property not to exceed in the aggregate seven thousand dollars in value; and, if not the head of a
family, property as aforesaid of the value of five thousand dollars, which is also exempt, and which
shall be chosen and appraised as provided by law.
An Act to exempt certain property from bankruptcy levy.
I certify that the attached Act
originated in the
HOUSE as Bill No. 1171
Speaker of the House
President of the Senate
Secretary of the Senate
House Bill No. 1171
File No. ____
Chapter No. ______
Received at this Executive Office
this _____ day of _____________ ,
20____ at ____________ M.
for the Governor
The attached Act is hereby
approved this ________ day of
______________ , A.D., 20___
STATE OF SOUTH DAKOTA,
Office of the Secretary of State
Filed ____________ , 20___
at _________ o'clock __ M.
Secretary of State
Asst. Secretary of State