22.809.12 97th Legislative Session 992
ENTITLED An Act to clarify the certification process for teachers and school administrators.
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of South Dakota:
Section 1. That § 13-42-9 be AMENDED:
13-42-9. The secretary may refuse to issue or renew, or may revoke or suspend, any certificate for:
(2) A determination by the Professional Teachers Practices and Standards Commission or the Professional Administrators Practices and Standards Commission that a violation of the code of ethics established pursuant to § 13-43-25 or 13-43-45 exists;
(3) Flagrant neglect of duty;
(4) Failure to fulfill any requirement for certification imposed pursuant to this chapter or chapter 13-43 and rules promulgated thereto;
(5) Moral turpitude, as defined in § 22-1-2; or
(6) Any other cause specifically allowed by law.
Section 2. That § 13-42-67 be AMENDED:
13-42-67. Unless there is cause to refuse to issue the certificate pursuant to §§ 13-42-9 to 13-42-10, inclusive, the secretary shall, within thirty days of receiving a completed application, issue a teaching certificate to an applicant whose application has been deemed completed by the Department of Education and:
(1) Who holds in good standing a valid certificate issued by another state or the District of Columbia;
(2) Who is an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States or the spouse of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States; and
(3) Who is the subject of a military transfer to South Dakota.
An application is considered complete once the department has received all required documentation necessary to process the application. No applicant for a certificate issued pursuant to this section is required to pay an application fee or any other fee payable to the department.
If the secretary denies the issuance of a certificate to an applicant pursuant to this section, the secretary shall report the denial and the reasons for the denial to the Department of Labor and Regulation.
Section 3. That § 13-42-7 be REPEALED.
An Act to clarify the certification process for teachers and school administrators.
I certify that the attached Act originated in the:
Secretary of the Senate
President of the Senate
Secretary of the Senate
Speaker of the House
File No. ____
Chapter No. ______
Received at this Executive Office
this _____ day of _____________,
2022 at ____________M.
for the Governor
The attached Act is hereby
approved this ________ day of
______________, A.D., 2022
Filed ____________, 2022
at _________ o'clock __M.
Secretary of State
Asst. Secretary of State