21.481.16 96th Legislative Session 914
ENTITLED An Act to revise certain provisions related to news media coverage of high school activities.
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of South Dakota:
Section 1. That § 13-1-57 be AMENDED.
13-1-57. Definitions regarding news media coverage of high school activities.
Terms used in §§ 13-1-58 and 13-1-59 mean:
(1) "Association," any association that meets the requirements of § 13-36-4;
(2) "Journalism," the gathering, preparing, collecting, photographing, recording, streaming, broadcasting, writing, editing, reporting, or publishing of news or information that concerns matters of public interest for dissemination to the public, including on the internet;
(3) "Media contractor," any entity that contracts with a school board, school district, or association to conduct journalism at any interscholastic high school activity or event;
(4) "News media," personnel of a newspaper or other periodical issued at regular intervals, a news service, a radio station, a television station, or a television network, regardless of whether the news media is in print, electronic, or digital format;
(5) "School district," the same meaning as in § 13-5-1;
(6) "School board," the same meaning as in § 13-8-1.
Section 2. That § 13-1-58 be AMENDED.
13-1-58. Interference with news media coverage of high school activities prohibited--Exception.
No school district, school board, association, or media contractor may interfere with the right of news media to attend and engage in journalism concerning any interscholastic high school activity or event. No association or media contractor may charge a fee for news media to engage in journalism at any such activity or event. The school district or school board shall prevent any school under its authority from interfering with the right of news media to engage in journalism at any such activity or event. The provisions of this section do not apply to any state championship interscholastic event.
Section 3. That § 13-1-59 be AMENDED.
13-1-59. Promulgation of rules to accommodate news media coverage of high school activities.
The board of a school district may adopt policies governing reasonable accommodations for news media to conduct journalism at all interscholastic high school activities and events. The policies on reasonable accommodations shall allow news media all necessary access to conduct journalism at such events, free of charge, subject to reasonable limitations for public safety, available space, and the right of the general public to attend such events.
An Act to revise certain provisions related to news media coverage of high school activities.
I certify that the attached Act originated in the:
Secretary of the Senate
President of the Senate
Secretary of the Senate
Speaker of the House
File No. ____
Chapter No. ______
Received at this Executive Office
this _____ day of _____________,
2021 at ____________M.
for the Governor
The attached Act is hereby
approved this ________ day of
______________, A.D., 2021
Filed ____________, 2021
at _________ o'clock __M.
Secretary of State
Asst. Secretary of State